Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Faroe Islands: Hvalvik Church


I got this stamp several years ago simply because I liked the view of the chancel area of this church. I have never been able to tell if there is a pipe organ in the chancel area also. The stamp, issued by Faroe Islands in 1997, shows the interior of the Church in Hvalvik. The church was built in 1928. It uses all wood for the construction, there no stone foundation. Hvalvik means "Whale Bay," affirming the priority of the fishing industry for the town. I haven't been able to find any information about the church's interior appointments, other than the fact that the pulpit dates from 1609. There is a Danish organ register, but it doesn't seem to include organs which may be located in the Faroe Islands. Until I can be certain there is indeed an instrument in the chancel area of the church shown on this stamp, I'm going to leave this post tagged "non-organic."




No comments: