Monday, January 25, 2021

Poland: Olkusz

 


The most recent issue in Poland's "historic organs" series shows the instrument in st Andrew's Basilica in Olkusz. This stamp was issued in the latter half of 2019. It is in a similar format to other stamps in the series.  The instrument was built by Jan Hummel and his apprentice Jerzy Notrowski in the early 1600's. By 1972 the organ was not playable, and a long series of improvement projects was begun. This Polish organ site gives great details about the instrument, including specifications and photographs. the level of research that has gone into the reconstruction of the instrument is laudable. I must thank my friend Mark Jameson who has generously shared with me copies of the stamps, various FDC's, and some of the large folios the Polish post office has prepared related to the stamps in this series.




2 comments:

southdakotajay said...

Mike,
Thanks for this blog, which is a wonderful resource. I publish my own blog of music related postage stamps https://themusicstamps.com/ and I'd love to chat with you more about collecting, about organ stamps, and more.

Best wishes, Jay

Mike Barker said...

Thanks, Jay. I'm glad you found this blog. I'll take a look at yours too. You may email me. Click my name beside my picture in the "About Me" section on this page. That should open my bio page. Under my picture there should be "Contact" and "Email." Clicking "email" should generate a message to me. I look forward to hearing from you!